Sunday, May 2, 2010

Life is Not Fair

Having lived a life that was far from fair, I long ago reconciled the fact that life really just isn't fair, and to expect or demand that it is fair is unrealistic.
Just looking around, the unfairness of life is immediately apparent. Why is it that some people are more intelligent then others? Why is it that some people are musically gifted without even trying? Why are some people raised by parents who love, value and nurture them while others are raised with abuse and hatred?
I struggled with these questions for a very long time. Why did I have to go through the things I went through while other people seemed to have life served on a silver platter.
I was at a seminar at church over the weekend and afterwards I was talking with the Pastor's wife, Christina. She started to share some stories from her past and then she made a comment that struck and stuck with me. 'God is the great equalizer. Life is fair because everyone has the same God.' 
This is profound to my thinking. I have never viewed it from this angle before. 
How true it is, that in the unfairness of life, we all have access to the same and wonderful God, who is the Father to all. We can all come to him, no matter what circumstance we are in, no matter how screwed up, messed up, beat up. As I look back over my own life, I can only thank God for pulling me through and raising me up. Seriously. I should not be as 'okay' as I am. And without him, I wouldn't be. It reminds me again of one of my very favourite passages in the Bible:
He sent from on high, he took me; he drew me out of many waters. He rescued me from my strong enemy and from those who hated me, for they were too mighty for me. They confronted me in the day of my calamity, but the LORD was my support. He brought me out into a broad place; he rescued me, because he delighted in me. Psalm 18:16 - 19
I was at cell a few weeks ago and the leader asked the question, 'Who is Jesus to you?' I thought about this for a while, and came to this conclusion. Jesus is my rescuer. He came and saved me when I was in great danger. He was a stranger to me, but after he saved me we became friends. And as the years pass, we are becoming closer and closer friends.
God is so wonderful and so just. 

No comments: