Thursday, January 28, 2010

Daddy's Princess

One thing that God has been telling me a lot lately is that I am his princess. 
Now, firstly, I'd like to say that one of my friends started a ministry called 'Save a Princess' and I truly believe in her vision. She aims to restore women to their true identity as Daughters of God in freedom and wholeness.
But I do sometimes think (to myself) that the whole 'God's Princess' thing is a little over done. It makes me think of grown women wearing baby pink tutus prancing around, being spoilt and advocating the 'prosperity doctrine'. 
My view on possessions is a bit skewed actually. I was raised strongly on the idea that 'money is bad'. Not that it was said so clearly, but the message was still quite clear. As I moved into my working life, I learnt to spend... and spend I did! What I wanted, I bought. I shopped mostly without looking at price tags. I grew in my self indulgence as the years went by.
And then I went to Bible College... I was flat broke that year. Seriously. No money. I love that year because I learnt a lot about finding value in things outside of finances. I learnt to treasure little treats, to enjoy the simple things in life.
After that year, I joined YWAM. In YWAM, no one is paid, in fact we pay them to work for them. During my time in YWAM, God has proven to me his utter faithfulness and how he delights in giving me little surprises and 'unnecessary' treats. He is not a stingy Dad.
However, even though he blesses me abundantly and he has ALWAYS been faithful to provide, I still have areas where I swing between a poverty mentality and self indulgence. I am a work in progress...
And now, God is teaching me to be his princess. 
Since the start of this year, I have been blessed with some really beautiful things. And everytime, Daddy whispers to me, see how precious you are...
I have never felt so loved in my life...

No comments: