Sunday, October 12, 2014

Free Will

My Nanna (my Mum's mother) passed away a couple of months ago. She was an amazing woman who meant so much to me. It was an honour to know her. 

What started the whole incident, was that my Nanna had a fall. In the fall, she broke her hip and had various other injuries, all of which was the beginning of the end. 

Afterwards, my strongly anti-God cousin made an interesting comment about it. He said: if God is real, He should have stopped her from falling. 

For some reason, this statement has stuck in my mind and caused me to think through the whole issue a lot. 

It seems so... silly, somehow, to think that THAT is the biggest thing to be blaming God for. Surely it would be more profitable to blame God for things like the crusades, child abuse, wars, murder, sex trafficking and other forms of slavery, etc. 

And then I was thinking, if God should step in and stop every wrong thing, that would include my cousin's actions of wrong doing. And I am very sure he wouldn't like that.

Or does God only have to stop certain wrong or bad happenings? And who gets to choose which ones? 

We want to choose for ourselves when it suits us, but blame God for not stopping bad when it doesn't. 

But the world just can't work like that. It has to be one way or the other, and for whatever reason, God chose this way, where we are allowed and able to choose bad things and where bad things happen to us. And it's really not God's fault. 

I have had to come to terms with this in my own life and history. So many of the 'bad things' that have happened to me, I would much rather that they didn't. But I don't blame God, at least, not anymore. I know that I live in a world full of humanity and that includes human error. 

I guess the trick is to learn to trust God through the troubles and to rest in the fact that one day, He is going to make all things right again. 

No comments: