Saturday, October 25, 2014

Addicted

Yesterday, I was on the train into the city. In each of the sitting sections, there are 18 seats. In my particular one, 17 of those seats were filled. There were 5 men and 12 women. Of those 17, only TWO were NOT on their handphones or mobile devices; myself and an older lady who looked in her mid-60s and who seemed to be dozing. There were an additional 5 people standing in the section, all of whom were also using devices.

Get that? Total 22 people, 20 on devices.

Does that shock you?

I am now 30-years-old. I like to think that my teens were not that long ago. In my teens, this kind of thing wasn't seen. I remember getting my first mobile phone, a study Nokia, somewhere around when I was 17-years-old. It wasn't 'smart' and had only 4 pretty basic games on it. I didn't spend most of my time glued to it. 

How have these tiny pieces of technology become so vital to our existence? 

Looking around the train, I felt so convicted. What am I modeling to my son? What kind of a world will he grow up in? Will there come a day when we forget how to speak, how to relate and to interact to one another?

I wanted to scream, 'EVERYONE PUT DOWN THE DEVICES AND NO ONE WILL GET HURT.'

Obviously, I didn't do that. But I do intend to put down my device a whole lot more often. 


No comments: