Monday, December 3, 2012

Value


Last week, we had the truly unique experience of being offered a baby for adoption.

The baby’s mother is unmarried and the father has already abandoned them. She is too poor to even afford some of the scans required. And the baby is due in March 2013.

I was contacted because a friend of mine, who heard about this baby, knows my passion for adoption.

In spite of the fact that we are ourselves having a baby in May 2013, my heart broke for this wee one. We sincerely did pray about if we should take on this baby. And in the end, decided that this was not for us in this season of time.

This whole incident put me on a line of thinking.

My own sweet baby is still five months from being born, and yet already is so loved and wanted and valued. And not just by Joel and I. Our parents and siblings, friends and community all love and long for this baby. We are being showered with gifts and practical help for once our baby comes along.

And then there is this other baby; rejected before he or she is even born. Not wanted. In a sense, a child of pain. 

My heart breaks for such children. And I burn with hatred towards the lies being practiced in the world and the sin that creates situations where children are not celebrated, loved, cherished and protected.

We were talking with one of our leaders about our baby and he said to us, a child needs four things: belonging, identity, destiny and security. 

This poor unknown baby is being robbed of those right now. 

Please, take a moment to pray for this little one.

No comments: