Saturday, October 29, 2011

What Am I Feeding?

I have been thinking a lot over the past few days about the power of words. Words can create. Words can break apart. They can heal and they can hurt. There are so many things that words can do, and yet I think so little about the things that I say. 


I am guilty of incredibly flippancy with my words. I am quick to use my mouth to judge people or situations. Sometimes it seems so clever and witty, but what is the real outcome of my words?


Even in my relationship with Joel, I am seeing the importance of the words that I choose to speak over us and over him. Do I choose to speak well of him? Do I build our relationship up by the words I say about us? Honestly, I do speak well of him and us most of the time. But there is still some room for improvement. 


I notice in myself that when I speak positively about a situation, my emotions follow. Conversely, when I speak negatively, I very soon start feeling down, sad, lethargic. 


I have started to ask myself, 'what are my words feeding? Which emotion are they encouraging?'


I want to enjoy my life. And it seems to me that my words play a huge role in shaping the way my life is...

No comments: