Thursday, July 29, 2010

Thoughts While Cleaning Rubbish Bins

We have Base work duty here at YWAM SIngapore every Wednesday afternoon. All the staff and students come together and are assigned different cleaning jobs for 1.5 hours around the Base. Yesterday, I was given not-so-lovely task of emptying the five large rubbish bins around the Base, scrubbing them with bleach and detergent inside and outside, rinsing, drying and relining them... Not my idea of a pleasant afternoon.
I had been feeling dizzy in the afternoon and was a little miffed that of all days, I should have to clean bins, this was it. However, I set about the task at hand.
As I was doing so, somehow a verse came to my mind. In DTS (Discipleship Training School) when I was a student, and we were going on outreach, my outreach leader asked all of us to ask God for a verse for ourselves during the outreach. Mine was:
Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men. Colossians 3:23
I decided to give it my best. I scrubbed those bins as well as I could and started to sing


I'll stand in awe of You, Jesus
Yes, I'll stand in awe of You
And I'll let my words be few
Jesus, I am so in love with You


Surprisingly, my heart immediately felt lighter and the task not so bad after all.

No comments: