Saturday, July 24, 2010

Sometimes Lack is a Blessing

It is easy to trust God for money when I still have some.
Today, I came to the point where I didn’t even have the money to top up the minimum for my public transport card to go and get Mum and Dave from the airport. I had to ask someone for $10.
It was incredibly humbling. At least for me.
My mind has been running wild, God, why? He has always provided for me. I have had to sacrifice some wants along the way, but since I began this life is completely being dependent on him in 2007, I have always had enough for the basics.
This week has been a struggle even to buy meals.
I was hanging out some washing just now and the ‘why’ questions were running over and over in my head. I began to wonder, am I sinning somewhere in my life that I am not aware of which is causing finances to be blocked? Have I been unfaithful along the way? Have I been a bad steward?
Eventually I ran out of possible reasons.
I felt like I was faced with a choice. Will I still believe God is good even in this?
I said out loud, God, I believe you are a good God. You have always provided for me and I have never starved. However, even if you do not give me any money, I will still choose to believe that you are good and loving.
I just started to cry.
And then I realized the truth. I am SO BLESSED to be brought to this place. If God always gave me everything on time and in abundance, I would never be at this place where I am now; choosing to worship in lack. 
In this place, God is not my God because he gives me things. He is my God because he is worthy, because of who he is.
Sometimes lack is a blessing. It is a tough blessing. But a blessing all the same.

No comments: