Saturday, March 6, 2010

The 'S' Word

I have been wondering for a long time EXACTLY what submission is supposed to look like in marriage. I understand that the man is the head of his family [1 Corinthians 11:3] and that a wife is instructed to submit to her husband [Ephesians 5:22 - 24]. I know the theory, so to speak, but I have not understood what this looks like practically on a daily basis.
I have a strong belief that obedience and submission are two entirely different things. Obedience is an action word. It applies to what we do. It brings to mind a picture of someone in authority giving an command and the one under their authority following through on the command regardless of personal thoughts or feelings.
Submission is a heart attitude. I recently heard a teacher describe it as, 'a willingness in your heart to obey.' (Unfortunately I cannot exactly remember who said this but I am fairly certain it was Steve Aherne). I see submission as an intentional choice to honour and respect others in my heart; a willingness to see things from another's perspective regardless of my personal feelings towards them or their perspective. 
Submission is in the heart and the outworking of it may be obedience, although I do not believe that this is an unconditional requirement. 
Towards the end of last year, an added level was introduced to me by Joseph Chean. This is called 'yielding'.
In my opinion, yielding is about surrendering my right to NOT obey, and to obey both willingly and cheerfully from a heart of submission. I do not believe, again, that this is an unconditional requirement. There may be times when the authority over us says something that is against either God's written Word (the Bible, his logos or written Word) or against his word for the moment (rhema, his spoken word). 
Sometimes the authority over us tell us to do something that is not a moral issue, but is against what we think is right, want to do, or believe that God is leading us into. This is a fine line to walk and I do not currently fully understand when to obey regardless of our own thoughts/feelings/convictions and when to not. I do not believe that authorities over us have authority in every area. For example, my boss in the workplace has authority over me in everything pertaining to my work and workplace, but he or she DOES NOT have authority over things pertaining to my spirituality. This is important to not confuse.
So submission is a heart attitude that is willing to obey and is willing to see another's perspective. Obedience is an action that follows on from submission but it not unconditional. Yielding is the act of obedience, coming from a submissive heart, that has laid down the right to not obey. 
More on this as I think about it in the coming weeks...

No comments: