Thursday, April 11, 2013

Sharing On A Whole New Level

Baby Justin


I am now 8 months pregnant and this baby is really taking over!

I have a very great need for personal space, which is one of the major adjustments I faced in getting married 11 months ago. It wasn’t my husband’s company that I struggled with - no! I loved (and still love) spending time with him and have never had even a moment’s thought towards being tired of him.

His things on the other hand... that was my struggle. Having to share my space. Having to make room for his stuff. I was down right cranky for a few days when he moved in. Poor fellow.

But I adjusted and moved on. It is no longer an issue.

This baby is really encroaching on my personal space now. Physically, it is heavy. But more than that, being a very active child, most of the day and a lot of the night I can feel the squirms, kicks, hiccups, etc... At first it was cute... but now... a little tiring.

Not that I don’t totally adore and love my baby. I really do! 

As I was thinking about all of this, I realised that it is the grace of God that he gives mother’s nine months of pregnancy. 

The first stage was to mentally prepare. To wrap my head around the concept that a new life, a person, with a character and being separate from either of us was joining our family permanently

Then, there was the practical stage. Getting everything ready. The bed. Clothing. Pram. 

But now, increasingly so, it is about physically preparing. This baby is COMING. And as baby is growing, my belly is expanding, and it is a very visual reminder of the total ‘invasion’ that will soon be here.

As I process all of this, I am reminded of God. He is absolutely huge. Really. really. BIG. And yet he makes room for us. For me. God didn’t need to create humans. He chose to. In the massive expanse of himself, he made space for people. And then, even more amazing, he gave them all different characters. And choice. And the ability to both love and hurt. 

And then those people whom he loving created room in himself for... betrayed him. Totally heartbreaking.

I can only imagine what it will feel like the first time my child lies to me. Or steals something. Or says something nasty to me. How painful that must be. 

But God, who knows everything, willingly still chose us.

This is profoundly incredible. 

Now I am learning from him. Learning to share my personal space. Learning to give my heart willingly to someone else, knowing that one day at some point, they will hurt me.

Only God can teach love like this.

No comments: