Friday, September 30, 2011

Walking In Love



At the start of this year, I felt God gave me a verse that was to be my focus for the whole year:
Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children. And walk in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God. Ephesians 5:1 - 2
Over the year, God has given me opportunities to practice what it means to walk in love, towards many different people. During DTS, I was challenged to walk in love towards my fellow staff, my students, and later, towards my outreach team mates. On outreach, I practiced walking in love towards slum dwellers, the underprivileged, foreigners, people of other belief systems and mindsets. 
Now I am learning a new type of love: to love privileged, spoilt ‘westerners’
And my own heart is being revealed.
It’s a reverse kind of pride to find it easy to love the poor, and harder to love the ‘rich’ of society. 
But God is teaching me that walking in love includes ALL people, regardless of their background or social status. 
It’s making me question who are the ‘unlovable’ to me? And what makes them so ‘unlovable’? What is in my own heart? 

No comments: