Thursday, September 30, 2010

Healing in the Sun

I have been sick for the past 3 days. I’ve been on AB and MC. I’m not so good at being cooped up inside. I get bored quite quickly. I slept for most of the first two days but by days three, I could sleep no more. I tried so many things to amuse myself but just needed to GET OUT.
Finally this afternoon, I was walking along our balcony and saw the sun. It was 6:15pm and was preparing to set. I wasn’t really thinking about staying there, but somehow, for some reason, I just stopped. I rested against the railing, closed my eyes and just let the sun soak me. Without realising, tears started to run down my cheeks. 
After just 10 minutes, I felt more alive and healed, more so emotionally than physically, than I had for the whole three days previously.
I opened my eyes and looked at the trees, the grass, the sky, the sun setting behind a cloud and became fully aware of the fact that no iPhone app, no Facebook, or game, no Youtube, no email... nothing could replace or equal even just 10 minutes in God’s creation.
I ended up staying there for half an hour. After a while, my tears turned into tears of overwhelming understanding of how good God is. I could not handle the amount of his love that I felt was washing over me.
I began to think to myself, wouldn’t it be wonderful to have a moment like this every day with God? To be so healed every single day!
But maybe God DOES prepare these incredible moments every single day for each one of us? Maybe every day, he invites us to find peace and joy and rest in the fresh beauty made only for that day? And maybe, most days, we miss it. 
I wonder what God thinks when he watches us rush around from one thing to the next, hurry here and there, often on what we deem to be ‘his business’ (especially for those of us in full time ministry)? And yet he is waiting for us to stop and marvel at his handiwork, or to steal a moment with him where we are completely engulfed in his goodness and mercy and love.
I wonder if we are being lied to? I wonder if we are being sold a picture of what life is supposed to look like that is not God’s truth or God’s best? I wonder if being busy isn’t what God had in mind when he made you and me and dreamed a destiny for us?

No comments: