Monday, September 6, 2010

Greener Grass

The grass is always greener on the other side...

I had to fly home to Australia last week. My Grandfather died and I was going to his funeral.
On the plane there, I was attended to by a rather good looking attendant. He was really sensitive to the passengers in his area. Actually I didn’t really notice him at first but after half a flight he really stood out. 
I had to purchase something from inflight shopping. I handed it to another attendant that was walking by but after some time the guy bought it back. There were some complications with the payment (different currencies) and I had to go to the back of the plane.
(On a side note, it was the A380, my first time flying on it. It is HUGE and I like the details: new colour scheme, more comfortable seats, better inflight entertainment.)
He started chatting with me, asking where I am from, why I am going home, do I like living in Singapore, etc. When he found out I was going home for my Pa’s funeral, he was so sincere and caring.
I went back to my seat and thought about it all. I am very conscious in my relationship about not flirting and about being faithful, even in my mind, to Joel. It’s important to me.
But it felt nice to be cared for. It could have been that I was feeling vulnerable.
Then I stopped myself. What was I looking for? I want to be cared for? Feel loved? I already have this and so much more in the relationship I already have.
I realized that if I want to look for ‘greener grass’ in someone else, I will find it. There are hundreds of men in the world who would have different strengths to Joel. But right now, I AM loved, cared for, protected, valued. Why would I trade what I definitely have for a possibility. 
I like the green grass that I already have. 
I guess it comes down to choice really. And thankfulness for the good things I already have.

No comments: